Second entry of the
last period
Teacher: Walter Alvarenga
Level: advanced I
Hello! everyone, I hope you are doing ok... this my second
entry for this period and let me tell you that my second class was great even
though we always have some problems, but you know problems teach us some lessons and give us experience.
First let me tell you
that I arrived to the classroom on time, and this is what I did, I organized
the sittings in a semi-circle shape, after that I started to prepare the
material that I would use for the class.
And it is very good since you have time to prepare everything before the
students come to classroom.
At the beginning of the class:
As a warm up I developed the game called: “the neighborhood
gossip” that consists in:
·
PROMPTS:
·
Mr. Jones – his dog
·
Mrs. Greenwood – her son
·
The Smiths – their grandchildren
·
Doctor Woodson – his wife
·
Mrs. Woodson – her husband, the doctor
·
Mr. McCormick – the delivery men
·
The Hancocks – their sixteen-year-old daughter
·
Professor Ray – his ex-wife
·
Gwen Ray – her ex-husband, the professor
|
The teacher: Write the list of prompts on the board.
Tell students to imagine living in the same neighborhood with all the people
listed on the board. Each student must repeat all the gossip s/he has heard and
share a new piece of gossip. Each piece of gossip must use a causative verb. In
short, this is a memory game.
EXAMPLE:
·
Student A asks Student B (on the left): Have you
heard about Mr. Jones?
·
Student B replies: No, what? / No, tell me.
·
Student A then shares the gossip: Mr. Jones let
his dog eat all the flowers in Mrs. Greenwood’s garden.
·
Student B reacts: Oh my! Really? Etc.
·
The game continues until all students have had a
turn to spread some Gossip. Allow previous speakers to help the current one to
recall information if necessary.
I really liked this activity, but the problem with the game
was that some students didn’t get the idea about the game because they didn’t
know very well the structure that they had to use in the game so that they didn’t do it well, and I had to developed
slowly in order to tried to involve all of them, another problem was that some students
came late to the class and I couldn’t involve them in the game because they
didn’t want to participate, for those inconveniences I spent a lot of time to
develop it, and I didn’t have enough time to finish the explanations of the
grammar notes about the causative verbs.
As I said before I didn’t have enough time so that I did the
presentation of the topic a little bit quickly, I developed a listening
exercise in the book (inside out book) of the topic “attraction” about the
causative verbs and vocabulary. It was good,
but the problem was next, I had to explain all the grammar and there was not
enough time to do it, and when I was explaining some students (girls) were
talking and they didn't pay attention to the topic, so that I tried calling
their attention, but they ignored me and they continued talking, they made me
angry because they didn’t pay attention and then they asked me questions about
the things that I had already explained before.
One of advice that I can tell you is that we need be
prepared for these kind of unexpected situation that we faced in the classroom;
for example, the problem with the girls was that I got nervous and I didn't
know what to do, but later I tried to calm down and I continued explaining to
the other ones that were paying attention to me. With the game, now I know that I had had to
change the game immediately or I had had a plan B. (When an activity doesn’t
work well as you planned)
I couldn’t finish explaining all the grammar because of the
time, but for the rest everything was good...


No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario